[olug] A non network network?

Hurley Rod RHurley at TMVGAS.COM
Tue Oct 18 14:58:36 UTC 2005

What about the old null modem trick?  Haven't done it for years, but I suppose in this case it would work.

-----Original Message-----
From: olug-bounces at olug.org [mailto:olug-bounces at olug.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Linder
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:54 AM
To: Omaha Linux User Group
Cc: olug at olug.org
Subject: Re: [olug] A non network network?

On Tue, October 18, 2005 07:26, Joe Gulizia wrote:

> At work my boss wants two computers hooked up together

>  but not directly on the main network.

Ok, simple enough... :)

> The one machine does have access to the main network

> via a wireless router (which we have locked down

> tightly).

> Other than removing the wireless router and installing

> a second NIC, what other ways can it be done?

If the two servers are physically close, you could use a crossover cable
between them and make a small IP subnet between them to talk across.

> Would there be any benefits to another way?

I guess you could put a wireless NIC in the second server and try to lock
down your wireless router to disallow the second server to talk to anyhing
but the first server.

My personal opinion is that wireless is never a great medium when security
is one of you top three requirements.  IMHO :)

Dan

- - - -

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles

"I do not fear computer, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov

GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68