[olug] Database export problem

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 15 21:25:24 UTC 2005

Actually, after a lot of playing around with the
database's built-in export tools, I found out if I
exported the data using 2 different tools I could get
the results I needed.
I also happened to be working with someone who knew
Excel; Open Office wouldn't import like I wanted it
to, but he got the data imported and looking right in
about half an hour for each database in question.

--- Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2005, at 12:48 PM, Eric Lusk wrote:
> > Well, it's slow work but I'm getting there....
> Found
> > out I can export PARTS of the database, but end up
> > with everything split up in multiple ascii
> files...
> > Lots of copying and pasting going on.
>
> Echoing Dave and Russ' comments: Sounds like you
> need/needed a little
> data munging script. I've written hundreds of those
> over the years,
> mostly in Perl.
>
> Next time before you spend hours/days/weekends
> copying and pasting you
> might want to paste a few lines of your data to a
> mailing list and
> explain what your desired state is. You'll probably
> get a dozen people
> sending you 3-15 line programs that do what you want
> (in various
> languages -- take your pick).
>
> HTH,

> Omaha Perl Mongers: http://omaha.pm.org

http://www.ericshaus.com
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix.  Never drink and derive.