[olug] server space, or how to get around cox port blocking?

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat Oct 8 02:43:28 UTC 2005

Eric Lusk wrote:
> Well, I used to be able to at least reach my server through https,
> but it seems Cox has modified their port blocking.  I can´t even get
> into ssh.  My router has the server dmz´ed and even port forwarded
> as an extra measure; no luck.

Cox has not modified anything; I think more of us would notice if they
had started blocking port 22.

Additionally, the behavior you see ("connection refused") is not the way
their smtp and www blocks work (the connection eventually times out).
There is no reason to believe they would do anything different for port
22 *if* they blocked it.

Here's some other ideas:

a) Run tcpdump or ethereal/tethereal on the machine in question to make
sure the packets are getting through your "router".

b) Double- and triple- check your iptables firewall rules.  It may be
configured to allow SSH only on the local LAN.

c) Configure sshd to run on a non-standard port and see if you can
connect to that.  It would be a good idea to do that anyway due to
rampant attempts to brute-force SSH passwords on port 22.

d) It sounds like you have a Linksys, D-Link or other similar "router"
that I have unkind words for. Connect the machine in question directly
to the 'net and see if you get through.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us