[olug] Homebrew wireless

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Fri Oct 7 03:41:40 UTC 2005

OBrien, Timothy wrote:

><quote who="Sam Tetherow">
>[snipped]
>

>>but instead because they are very unfriendly to spectrum as a general
>>rule and it is a violation of FCC rules.
>>

>[snipped]
>
>It is only a violation if someone reports you to the FCC, and the FCC come
>knocking at your door... ;)

It's a violation regardless.  As someone who makes his living operating
in the part 15 bands this type of attitude is very frustrating.  Let
alone is it illegal it is completly irresponsible.  There is so little
unlicensed spectrum available and so many people trying to use it, that
even using FCC certified equipment there are areas that are pretty much
unusable for even these short range links.

The problem with homebrew equipment and hacked radios (like running a
linksys wrt54 at 250mw) is two fold, one it trashes the spectrum it is
in, but it can also bleed off into the adjacent licensed spectrum which
someone has paid good money to lease.

The wireless internet community has been struggling trying to convince
the FCC that more spectrum should be released under the part-15 rules,
or if barring that atleast a non-exclusive cheap/free license scheme.
However with people using uncertified equipment, especially poorly
manufactured equipment, I can understand the FCC's reluctance to release
more spectrum to the commons so that it can be further abused.

    Sam Tetherow
    Sandhills Wireless