[olug] Soekris single board computers

Neal Rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Wed Oct 5 01:12:44 UTC 2005

 I've been using Soekris Net 4511 single board computers for a while.
They've got a 486/100, 64 meg of ram, a compact flash slot, and a PCMCIA
slot in addition to their two onboard 10/100 ethernet ports. I've mostly
had OpenBSD 3.4 on them but I'm about to convert a couple to the
MikroTik Linux distribution.

 I've been using some old Unisys Pentium 100 bookshelf machines running
FreeBSD for network analysis. They're loud, they're slow, they're small,
but not as small as the Soekris net 4801. I just brought in four of the
4801s for a network monitoring project. They come with a 266 MHz Geode
processor, 128 meg of ram onboard, three ethernet ports, and a miniPCI
slot. I'm populating the miniPCI slot on some of them with a Soekris
VPN1411 crypto accelerator and I'm using Hitachi 2.0 gig microdrives for
storage ($79 after rebate from CompUSA!). They'll get FreeBSD via
network install and I managed to load the project finances such that one
of these little guys will be staying here on my desk to keep me company.

 The 4801s are only about $360 by the time you get a microdrive in them
and they're dead silent. If you feel the need for a wireless component
they do make a case that is predrilled for RP-TNC and you can get
miniPCI wireless cards. I took a few pictures for your viewing pleasure:

http://flickr.com/photos/avyakata/sets/1074986/