[olug] part-time job hunt suggestions

Matt Anderson manderso at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 17 21:13:56 UTC 2005

Howdy Folks --

I've been on the OLUG list for just a couple of days, but I was
hoping I might ask for some advice / suggestions regarding a job
hunt.  Being that you're a list full of Linux people, my hope is that
suggestions you might offer are in fact the kind that I'd be looking
for.

I've been in Omaha for a few weeks, and I'm looking for a part-time,
somewhat flexible technology job of some kind (systems
administration, software development, or web development, probably).
I'm having some difficulty identifying local opportunities.

Working at a university (or similar environment) sounds pretty good,
and UNMC is very close to where I'm living, but they don't really
have any positions posted and I haven't been able to identify anyone
to talk to 'on the inside' about unadvertised positions (if there are
any).  I've had AmeriTrade, ConAgra, and PayPal suggested to me, but
they seem very big and very corporate, and have very little in the
way of part time positions posted.

I had CareerLink suggested to me recently as a good local resource,
and it does indeed seem to have a lot more Omaha listings than say
Monster or Jobs.com or the like.  I'll have to give it a very
thorough sifting-through very soon.

Me in a nutshell: I've been using Linux for about 10 years, and it's
been my primary OS for most of that time.  I have three to four years
of professional systems administration / support / webmastering
experience (Linux / Windows), a Master's degree in Computer Science,
and 4 years of medium-intense software development experience as a
grad student / research assistant.  Some experience (about six
months) with PHP/MySQL web app/site development.  I've been using an
OS X PowerBook as my primary computer for about a year now (and
absolutely love it).  My language of choice is Python, but I can work
pretty well with C/C++, Perl, PHP, and Java too.

My question to you all is this: do you guys (or gals) know of any
openings in particular which might be appropriate?  Do you have any
suggestions on where I should be looking (job agencies / portals, or
specific government locations / schools / companies around town)?
Any words of wisdom to share?  :-)

Many thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide.  I
really appreciate it.

--
  Matt Anderson