[olug] Novell/SuSE - On topic? 8)

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 02:20:47 UTC 2005

Ok, I'm not exactly unbiased on my view, but the blogger who authored
that post doesn't seem to be even approaching objectivity and seems to
have particular contempt for anyone outside of the original Suse
company.

Point - Whether or not the previous reports on the elimination of KDE
from Suse were correct, the latest information indicates that Novell
has listened to their users and will continue to support both
desktops.  http://www.abend.org/article.php/20051112000940342  IMO
this shows that Novell has a level of sensitivity regarding working
with the existing Suse development community and users.

Point - Divesting themselves of Suse would make exactly no sense
unless Novell was going to go the way of SCO and make money by
litigating.  Novell has bet the farm on Linux, and getting rid of the
foundation of their new flagship product would be suicide.

Now if anyone has any questions about the direction  of Novell and
Suse let me know.  I'm leaving town for training at Novell HQ in Provo
on the 12th of December.  I will be meeting with my sales rep and she
knows we are a loyal customer and can get me about any answer I need.
I believe some of the evening events will involve meeting with the
developers and product managers also.

Bill