[olug] congressman Terry needs more attention

Brandon Petersen brandon.petersen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 17:26:14 UTC 2005

First Amendment Rights? This seems to be a bit of a stretch.

The First Amendment guarantees the right of free expression; including the
freedom of assembly, freedom of the press, freedom of religion and freedom
of speech. I'm at a loss to where you're ability to express yourself would
be limited?

It would be different if the proposed law limited your ability to create a
Parody of someone else's work. Then I can understand how your Freedom of
Speech is being infringed in that case, you would be kept from creating your
own content.

The issue at hand is how much control the Copyright Holder has over the
content you receive. It's a 'Fair Use' issue, I'm at a loss where
Congressman Terry is attempting to directly attack your Freedom of Speech. I'm
not pro-DRM or anything, but this argument is very tenuous.

--
Brandon Petersen, http://www.brandonpetersen.com

Get Firefox, The Browser You can Trust
http://www.getfirefox.com/