[olug] 64bit Redhat/SuSE

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Nov 3 16:04:13 UTC 2005

Under the commercial unices it's not uncommon to run a 64-bit kernel
with a 32-bit userland, and only use 64-bit binaries for things that
need it - ie Oracle.  Solaris was like that through Solaris 9, the last
release to support 32-bit SPARCs.

More distributions need to do the same.

Honestly, do Firefox, Thunderbird, KDE, GNOME, the GIMP, etc etc
*really* *need* to be 64-bit?

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us