[olug] Re: OLUG - Omaha Linux User Group: Fedora Core 3 & win xp pro dual boot

Jon Larsen relayer at olug.org
Wed May 25 12:11:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005, suraj wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:50:06 -0500
> From: suraj <surajgrg at gmail.com>
> To: contactolug at olug.org
> Subject: OLUG - Omaha Linux User Group: Fedora Core 3 & win xp pro dual
>     boot
>
> This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.olug.org from:
> suraj <surajgrg at gmail.com>
>
> Hello,
> Well i bought a second hard drive just so that i can instal FDC 3 init without having to touch my other hdd. I was able to get fdc 3 installed on my new hdd which is set as the master with fdc 3 init. However, i am unable to dual boot win xp. I tried messing around with the lilo.conf file but no success. I also tried using grub but wasn't able to get anywhere i was wondering if there is anyone here that could assist me (new to linux)with this. Thanks. The install fest is still more than a month away so i didn't want to wait that long. If anyone can help that would be great.
> Suraj

Suraj,

Thanks for the email.  You are welcome to join our mailing list by
visiting <http://lists.olug.org/mailman/listinfo/olug> - here you can get
a lot of questions answered by the entire group of OLUG members.

Here is a copy of my grub.conf file, in which I am dual booting Fedora
Core 3 and window XP at work (Fedora is the first HD, XP is the second).
Note there are a couple extra lines you'll need pertaining to drive
mapping in regards to Windows XP, see the 'map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)' entries
below.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.27_FC3)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.27_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.img
title Windows XP Professional SP2
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        chainloader +1