[olug] mysql question

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Wed May 18 04:04:58 UTC 2005

Quoting Charles Bird <thebirdman at operamail.com>:

> mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'ipaddress' = PASSWORD('supersecretpassword');
> ERROR 1133: Can't find any matching row in the user table
> mysql>

[snip]
> the only other commands I have done with this mysql install is:
>
> mysql -u root
> mysql> DELETE FROM mysql.user WHERE User = '';
> mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('supersecretpassword');
[snip]
> Where in the world is mysql.user?

It should still be there if that's all you've done. You can connect as
root like
you did above and "use mysql" and then "select * from user" to see if there's
actually an entry for root at ipaddress.

If there isn't, you can create one by using:

grant usage on *.* to root at ipaddress identified by "password";

Though it's possible those double-quotes should be single.

Good luck.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com