[olug] Question about file type associations

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon May 16 06:59:26 UTC 2005

This bugs me every so often as well... anyone know a good way to
associate a program with a file/mime type?  I know we've got the
/etc/mime-types file, but is there a 'standard gnu/linux way' to
associate these to apps, or must it be setup for each desktop environment?

Also, is the "mailto:" link set by each web browser or in the
environment defining which mail client to launch?  I just installed
thunderbird, but evolution tries to start up - and I'd rather not just
purge evolution. =)

Brian