[olug] Broadcast Flag

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Sun May 8 23:09:07 UTC 2005

I think I was misunderstood, I don't mean to replace the converter,
but to connect to the converter. (However, there is a cable card
standard in the works.) HDTV is loaded with incompatible standards.
Take open standards like DVI and Firewire vs encrypted standards like
DVI w/HDCP Firewire w/ DTCP. Early adopter with a DVI set? Cox box
with DVI/HDCP outputs? No HDTV for you since you (could) be a dirty
pirate. Go spend more money now. The FCC said all set top boxes need
to have firewire outputs. Well, DTCP is in fact firewire, not nothing
anybody other than a major electronics maker can use. Linux? That
could be used for piracy!

No, most likely, linux never will be able to capture modern cable box
style HDTV due to the encrypted connections that are becoming
standard. The DMCA prevents you from bypassing them. Composite (Y,
Pb, Pr/Y, Cb, Cr) still exist, but not for long, it's an analog hole
that must be plugged. Time shifting will only be allowed on hollywood
approved TIVOs with commercial skip disabled. VCR (HD) and DVD (HD)
recorders won't exist, since only studios will be authorized to
record to removable media. This is the war on the  boston stranger/
VHS again, but this time, they've got congress on their side, and
they will win at any cost.

Don't even get me started on how much innovation we'd be seeing in
wireless right now if the consumer electronics makers didn't have to
deal with this stuff and we had reclaimed all the bandwidth last year
instead of years from now. All just to prop up a (comparatively) tiny
entertainment industry.

So I guess:

Q: Can I tune into over the air HDTV?