[olug] BW Limiting

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 17:03:58 UTC 2005

I'd be just enough of a jerk to unplug them from the
network, then when they complain, tell them in no
uncertain terms they can have their access back when
they decide to do WORK with it.
Since you're not in the position to fire them,
becoming the BOFH can be a breath of fresh air :)
--- Ben Dinger <ben at mac-geek.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 17:27 +0100, Charles Bird
> wrote:
> > I have a situation at work where I need to limit
> someones bandwidth because they are not getting
> their work done. so I'd like to give them down to
> 28.8 at times. I plan on installing a suse9.1
> routerbox this week...any Ideas?
> > Thx
>
> Why not, you know, just terminate them?
>
> Here we have a very strict policy with regards to
> that.  First offense
> gets you a complete loss of internet connectivity
> (via a deny entry in
> the PIX's access-list) aside from email (server is
> local).  Second
> offense gets you fired.
>
> Aside from that, I'd suggest using IPCop
> (http://www.ipcop.org) and
> reading up on the Dan's Guardian plug-in and proxy
> settings.
>
> Or, you know, you could just walk over to their PC
> and remove the
> gateway from it.  :)
>
> BD

http://www.ericshaus.com
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix.  Never drink and derive.