[olug] open source vs the world

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 19:02:41 UTC 2005

Lets not travel down the road of mixed comparisons,
like the cliche of apples and oranges.

There is a large selection of "Freeware" for Windows,
but not open source.  Part ( a majority ) of the
problem is that even if a developer released a Windows
software package as Open Source, a user would have to
create a compatible environment to compile it.  If the
software were developed in .Net, or Visual Studio, and
managed in Source Safe, the notion of open source
disappears because of the costly commercial
development required to acces and compile the source.
The CYGWIN environment is a kind of work-around for
this problem.  The DJGPP compiler is closer to a
solution, but has a long way to go to be an actual
Windows compiler.

Open Source is just a completely different environment
that commercial sofware addicts can not understand.
Manipulating a kernel to add or remove features is
incomprehensible to someone who has to wait for a
security update from his software vendor.
Manipulating software by adding or removing features
as one sees fit, reducing the bloatware and optimizing
performance with compiler options are foreign, sexy,
and taboo notions to a commercial software
co-dependant

For those who pay their bills working with MS
products, I hope that works out for you.  On the other
hand, I have paid my bills without MS products: From
1995 to 2000, being a Certified Netware Engineer,
(server, groupwise and nds admin) paid my bills.
Since then it has been Linux.

I don't have a lot of patience for people who say "I
have to use or promote Windows solutions to pay the
bills," or "I don't like Windows but I have to use it
for my career."  I would rather move my family to work
with Linux than work in a total Windows environment.
By the way, I did move my family to Omaha from
Illinois to take a job in a Linux environment.

-=Sean Edwards=-