[olug] open source vs the world

jdh at gotopeak.net jdh at gotopeak.net
Fri Mar 25 17:28:11 UTC 2005

Now all, forgive my ignorance. i have but a pitance of the experiance of most people posting here. but i see some [by my perception] hate towards anything MS. Now at home i am a linux only user, and Mandrake at that. because i like it and for no other reason. that and XP and 2003 server didn't play nice with my opteron and SATA drives. i also test software for a local MS certified partner. most of my knowledge is in MS. the way i see it, gates should be held high, as well as others. it is these anti-open source companies and people that make me want to work harder at learning linux and developing for it and/or even using/promoting it whenever i can. i use MS every where i go but at home. sure ut has flaws. i don;t deny that, but it makes want to work harder at linux and open source, not just sit around and bash some multi-billionaire because he made some great business decisions. the best does no always win, vhs vs beta. let's not be beta, let;s become dvd movies! i say use t
 he OS that makes sense for the situation, and according to the IT staff you have. If i had only windows guys on staff, i wouldn't use linux. they would find ways to screw it up even without trying! personally my home network when done will be 1 linux firewall, mythtv, 2 linux server, 1 linux workstation, 1 windows workstation, 1 windows test box. i see the need for both in my situation. i also see the flaws in both. just my 2 ignorant cents.

Josh Haggin
Personal Trainer/Owner
Wisdom Universal
wisdomuniversal1 at cox.net