[olug] Exchange, Expectations and Enterprise

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Fri Mar 25 01:55:27 UTC 2005

And the supplicant asked the Oracle:  Why are so many companies converting to
MS-Exchange, when we all know it sucks?

I'm not a fan of Exchange.  From the outside it looks big, bloated, and prone
to failure.  However....
When you start moving in to the thousands of desktops range, organizations
expect the latest features on a platform that will minimize training and
support costs.   If your desktop base is predominantly Windows, then Exchange
becomes a *very* easy choice to make.   If you are using Active Directory,
the choice becomes even easier.  As far as I can see, any equivalent product
loses it's cost advantage when you add in the cost of training and support
for a few thousand people.  If it's not a Microsoft product, the integration
can get very ugly.  Redmond takes care of their own software line-up, and at
this point in time, are just beginning to understand they need to work and
play well with others.
I spent a year looking for the Exchange Killer(EK).  In December of 2004, I
came to the conclusion that any serious threat to Exchange from Open Source
was at least 12-24 months away.   At this point in time, I see no reason to
revise that forecast.   To be a real success, the EK is going to have to be
able to communicate with Exchange, and at the same time advance an open
messaging/calendaring platform to the point where Microsoft will have to pay
attention to that new platform,   That's a tall order, demanding well-funded,
disciplined development.  OSAF's Chandler project looks promising, but
they've been coding for over a year and are just now getting a usable product
out the door.  Novell has just released a bunch of groupware code to open
source, hoping to generate some interest in a competing messaging
architecture.  Ars Technicha reports that Novell's Hula seems to be a good
start of a messaging, calendaring infrastructure, but is a long ways away
from prime time.
At this point, there doesn't seem to be anything else out there to put
pressure on MS for calendaring/messaging,  and as long as that continues,
you'll continue to see companies go for Exchange.

You owe the Oracle a meeting on Friday the 13th during the next odd numbered
leap year.

DT