[olug] IE and mozilla.org

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Wed Mar 23 17:45:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:24:11AM -0600, Rod Hurley wrote:
> I was here when Nimda was wild and there were NO signatures available.
> We had 2 Windows pc users hit a website with an embedded virus and we
> had to pull those pcs off the network.  Our servers, (through the drive
> mapping functionality of Windows) accumulated 93,000+ files in 2 hours
> which we manually deleted.  Our email system was never ever down, or
> slowed because the virus was attempting to use Exchange as it's
> incubator.  Groupwise did nothing with the requests.  That is our
> primary difference between the 2 systems.

I'm not clear on what you're comparing here. Are you comparing a
mail/groupware system to Windows file shares? The two don't really compare.
A *properly* configured Exchange system also wouldn't puke when it
encountered Nimda. What constitutes a properly configured Exchange could be
more resource/money intensive than GroupWise, but that is just part of the
product.

> And I must say this:  "They outclass their competition (Novell, Lotus)
> because they are Microsoft" doesn't follow.  Being the richest, and most
> arrogant doesn't make me the best guy in the office.  I let my
> performance speak for itself.

The idea behind this was that Microsoft is the desktop operating system and
Exchange is a logical offshoot of it. It integrates well with other
Microsoft products without having to install third party software. Install
Office (which you'd do anyway) and you get Outlook. Integrates nicely into
Active Directory, which Windows can also use.

I aas also trying to say that many (poor) management decisions are made on
the "It is Microsoft, so it must be good" line of thought. Microsoft is a
big company, with many products, and thus they get a lot of the marketshare
and marketing.

Novell stlll gets a lot of hostility for the NetWare days. Many network
administrators who have finally purged themselves of IPX have no desire to
introduce any new Novell technologies on their network. Novell as a company
is also not as well off as Microsoft. I know of amny places phasing out
Novell products, such as NetWare and GroupWise. On the other hand, I know
of some (though fewer) that are using Novell products like eDirectory.

Does GroupWise also cause you to top post by default?

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org