[olug] IE and mozilla.org

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Wed Mar 23 17:08:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 07:11:19AM -0800, Sean Edwards wrote:
> These are the 3 I know of so far:
>
> 1) Meridian
> 2) Tenaska
> 3) Omni

> The analysis of this would be interesting, and maybe
> even the actual (not specuative) reason(s) for this
> Exchange push could be extrapolated.

If I had to guess, I'd say that these companies are migrating to Exchange
to make use of the groupware functionality. Not because of some dark secret
Microsoft move to convert all of Omaha into an Exchange zone.

Many medium to large sized companies and organizations need groupware
systems. Systems that manage e-mail, calendaring, tasks, meetings,
resources, and so forth. Exchange does all of this. Some of it works fairly
well, while other parts don't. They outclass their competition (Novell,
Lotus) because they are Microsoft and because their product really has some
key advantages.

Where I work, we have recently migrated to Exchange and some smaller areas
are still migrating. While I originally didn't care for it, I've learned to
like the calendaring features. I'm still not big on the actual e-mail part,
but the calendaring is great.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org