[olug] (OT) - Free/Cheap Temporary Colo-space

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Mon Mar 14 21:34:48 UTC 2005

Jay Swackhamer wrote:
> If you wanted to have an independant Data Center...
>
> The industrial park at 156th & Center would be a good location
> If I remember correctly, you can get bays in the size range of
> 1000 square feet and up for around $800/month, so figure on
>
> Space  $800-$1000/month
> Utils  $300-$500 /month
> T1/DSL $300-$500/month

That's on the low side for a T1, and we haven't done any research as to
DSL availability in that area to know if it's available.

Cox Optical Internet may be a better idea
(http://www.coxbusiness.com/systems/ne_omaha/coxoptical.asp) - last I
heard they run the fiber line to the premises.

> Initial Wiring Costs ~$3000(unless someone's an electrician)
> Commitment would probably be a minimum of three years.

And let's not forget other materials - UPSs, switches, rackmount gear
(shelves), etc.  Much of it is cheap enough that some people could
donate hardware, but some of it isn't.

OK, just for the sake of argument, let's say we did it (rented a bay in
an industrial park and set up a low-budget data center).

Who's going to be the point man (people?) for:
 * getting the bills paid ?
 * collecting "fees" from "customers" (or "dues" from "members", if you
   prefer) ?
 * putting up with the gov'ment (they can get antsy if they think we're
   running a business and aren't paying our taxes) ?
 * insurance (vandalism, fire, flood, etc) ?
 * sysadmin issues - infrastructure configuration and maintenance,
   defining and enforcing an AUP and the like ?
 * getting all of the above figured out ?

Is it worth it to start a non-profit organization of some kind (note the
question above about the government)?

Assuming a worst case of $2000/mo in expenses we would need several
dozen "members" @ $50/mo - how much are people on this list willing to pay?

Assuming that we'll need more "members" than the list can provide, can
we find enough people to be "members" to make it work - alternate
hosting methods to help take up the slack, perhaps?

Are there cheaper alternatives, such as renting a cage at one of the
already established colocation facilities (ie IP Revolution or First
National)?

And no, I am *not* volunteering to do anything right now, I'm just
trying to stimulate some discussion.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us