[olug] legally break into a Linux server!

Tim OBrien IrishMASMS at OLUG.ORG
Wed Mar 9 17:57:12 UTC 2005

<quote who="Sean Kelly">
>> Non-slashdotters on the OLUG mailing list? Is that even allowed? ;)
>
> Yes, considering Slashdot is nothing but news, opinions, and quotes lifted
> off other sites with the occasional short commentary added to the end.*
>
>> BTW, you should at least credit your source(es) when posing information;
>> to give the reader the full background & give credit where credit is
>> due.
>
> I don't think this really is a concern when posting a single URL. "I got
> this cool URL from Janet in Accounting. I was having lunch with her
> earlier
> and she said she saw this cool site and I wanted to know more, so she sent
> me the URL when she got back to the office. I forward it on to you."
>
> It is differerent if it is quoted text.

What I was trying to get at, is a bit more information (the how & why this
link is interesting) should be added with 'just a link'. Sometimes it may
make sense to the poster why they shared the link with everyone; but to
the recipients the Subject line makes no sense at all.

The OLUG FAQ regarding the mailing list talks about this:
https://olug.org/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=8&categories=OLUG+mailing+list

Just trying to stress quality posts, rather than quantity...

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Previous Publicity & Social activities chairperson