[olug] Memory recognized (in)correctly?

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Sat Jun 25 09:53:17 UTC 2005

At Fri, 24 Jun 05, Unidentified Flying Banana Eric P, said:
> So... ah... do I need to compile myself a kernel w/said Hi Mem support?
>  I'm running Deg Sarge, and have <sweat_drip>never compiled a
> kernel</sweat_drip>.

You're in luck.  Debian makes it pretty easy and painless to compile a
custom kernel (and manage it as a Debian package).

I'd suggest starting here, for a couple of good tutorials:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
http://www.osnews.com/printer.php?news_id=2949

If you need to add nVidia support, here's a very good tutorial on that:

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/index.html

I believe the latest Debian packaged kernel source is:

kernel-source-2.6.11

Just make sure you have necessary hardware support included.  It takes a
little time, but honestly, it's not *that* hard to compile your own
kernel.