[olug] Linux as a guitar amp

A-Wal A-Wal at cox.net
Tue Jun 14 04:35:11 UTC 2005

Well, I actually got this to work after a bit of tweaking.  It's not as
hard as I thought it would be.  I have a SB Live 5.1 sound card with a
Live Drive on the front, and the mic input jack on the Live Drive is the
same size as my guitar uses.  So, I was able to plug my guitar straight
into my Live Drive, and actually record sound like it was a mic.  I then
installed Jack listed below, and it worked just as it says it does.
However, I did notice a small latency like you guys said might happen.
It's about a half-second latency from when I hit the string to when it
plays the sound.  So, if you are playing an acoustic over it, which my
brother actually did with his, it sounds like there is an echo.  With my
electric guitar, it was just a half second off while you were playing.
I did read that there is a low latency kernel you can install that
allows the jackd daemon to run in real time as a user, but I never
installed it to try it out.  Supposedly, the low latency kernel would
allow for almost instantaneous throughput of the sound.  I'm sure it
also has applications in other fields, such as video.  I did have some
trouble with the tuner software, mainly not installing or running, and
most of them were just a hack somebody through together to see if they
could write a tuner.  I found that a $20 tuner device from the music
store works far better than anything I could find on the internet, *nix
or not.