[olug] Linux as a guitar amp

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Sat Jun 11 14:59:31 UTC 2005

I havn't hooked mine up in a long time either. The biggest problem is
latency. Unless you have a really fast computer you'll be tearing
your hair out playing through it. However, there are some apps:

http://www.gnuitar.com/ - Guitar effects
http://jack-rack.sourceforge.net/ - Effects
http://ardour.org/ - Recording

My advice? Spend your time learning how to play through your $10 amp.
It just needs to make the sound come out. Once you decide you really
like guitar go to a pawn shop and get a line 6 pod or a behringer
vamp. I'd lean toward line 6 (I have a behringer amp with the vamp
dsp built in and it's not that good, but it's cheaper). Those two
products use special processors to simulate all kinds of amps, you
just plug it into your stereo. Line 6 also makes a thing called the
guitar port, which is windows only, but has just the dsp in it. You
control it through usb. It's about 1/3 cheaper than a standalone, but
you need windows. I still play through my little $10 amp in my living
room with my big one in the office (but then again, I'm a bad
guitarist). You just need something to jam on now, you'll get better
and know your needs down the road.

If you try gnuitar let the list know how it goes please, I could be
completely wrong and linux guitar processing could have came a long way.

-- Daniel