[olug] Sun Monitor Rental

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Wed Jun 8 07:36:29 UTC 2005

Daniel Pfile wrote:
> He mentioned something about need a fsck... I don't think a multiuser
> boot is in order. What about a serial console?

Which is exactly what booting without a keyboard does :)  If there is no
keyboard present OpenBoot will put the console on serial port A instead
of putting the console on the CRT.

The default settings for the serial console is 9600 8n1.

> If it's a monitor you need, I think computer cable connection still
> sells 13w3 -> vga converters. I had one to hook a sun monitor to a
> pc, but they go the other direction too, so you can hook a pc monitor
> to a sun.

Depending on the Sun you don't need a 13w3 converter, or a monitor that
supports it. Many of the newer Suns have standard DB15 analog ports for
the monitor... like an Ultra 5, although I doubt you could consider a U5
new ;)

The OP didn't mention what model his Sun is.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us