[olug] Bluejay Usage Questionaire

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Sun Jun 5 23:57:32 UTC 2005

Hi, Phil.

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 02:13:36PM -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> What they fail to mention are...
>
> a) They replaced all their HP-UX dudes with Windows weenies who,
>    incidentally, command smaller salaries

This isn't true. While I can't and won't speak to the bit about salaries, I
can guarentee that there are still HP-UX people in house. That said, HP-UX
is likely not the *nix future of Creighton.

> b) Exchange may be expensive, but that's nothing compared to the support
>    costs for HP-UX and the PA-RISC machines they are getting rid of

I do not know the numbers, but this is possibly true. PA-RISC machines are
not cheap. RHEL AS 3 on x86 boxes is much cheaper, especially with RedHat's
academic discounts.

> c) There are other political and technical factors invovled that I doubt
>    anyone on the list is completely knowledgeable about

> Hmm... I still know a few people at Creighton, I wonder if I can get a
> hold of any of that HP-UX gear cheap...

Possibly. A fair bit of it is being used for testing/staging and for scraps
to enhance the other machines.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org