[olug] Dual Athlon MP info

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 15:23:08 UTC 2005

Certainly worth checking out.  I've got BeOS 4.5 and
5, neither of which will run on my newer systems, and
my older one is running as my server.  I love Be, and
it was a sad day when they closed down.

--- Cale at yahoo.com,
UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS at .SYNTAX-ERROR. wrote:

> In BeOS it's out-of-the-box support for up to 8
> CPU's. Works seamlessly, but
> most Linux distros I've tried do all or most of the
> hard part for you anymore
> so you really don't ever notice much.
>
> I'm currently piecing together a Proliant quad
> P-Pro, not because it's new
> and fast but because it's a cheap testbed for
> Haiku's SMP performance. Haiku
> is the opensource replacement for BeOS r5. It's
> coming along quite well. Uses
> the NewOS kernel writen by Travis Geiselbrecht, an
> ex-Be Inc. software
> engineer.
>
> Very much like the original BeOS kernel in design
> and it's multi-threading
> and multi-procc. capabilities. With testing we hope
> to keep as close to the
> original as we can in as many ways as possible.
> Hopefully we'll add the cross
> -platform PPC implementation of the original BeOS.
> When running, it's hard to
> tell the two versions apart for most casual users.
> The NewOS kernel will
> already bring with it at least partial abilitiy to
> also run on Hitachi SH-4,
> and with luck Travis' planned support for the
> UltraSPARC IIe, MIPs 5000,
> Alpha, and ARM.
>
> It's nice to be able to zip a multi-mega or gigabyte
> file while emptying the
> trash of a gig or 2 WHILE you're surfing the
> internet or maybe even burning a
> CD! SMP for me! It's the only way to fly!
>
> Cale
>

> >Looks like I'm getting a dual cpu board(tyan k7x w/
> cpus(1800MP) and 512MB
> >ram, oh and a 1U chassis PSU.
> >
> >OK, so i'm getting it in the mail in a few days,
> and I have the intentions
> of
> >putting a light slack on an older scsi 160 raid 0,1
> array, and running my
> >verlihub on it...sending to colo in chicago on a
> shared 100Mb.
> >
> >I've neva tuned a dual cpu machine before, is there
> anything I need to know
> >thats really differnt than a single machine?   I
> intend on putting in
> atleast
> >1 more GB of ram before i send her off into the
> unknown.
> >Thx in advance.
> >
> >--

http://www.ericshaus.com
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix.  Never drink and derive.