[olug] qwest cable

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Sat Jul 30 04:05:41 UTC 2005

At Thu, 28 Jul 05, Unidentified Flying Banana Nathan D. Rotschafer, said:
> Requesting a static IP is free (I have one).  They do on the cable
> side filter ports like 25 inbound and outbound along with 80
> inbound.  Overall I like the service and it is fast.  In my new
> apartment that I'm moving into in August I'm choosing to go back to
> qwest dsl over cox cable for a lot of reasons.  I currently have
> qwest cable and would be happy to answer anything else you might want
> to know.

This is correct.  If you need a static IP, they will setup a static
conduit/mapping so that your internal static IP always matches a
specific external IP.  With that, you can ssh in to your box, or run
services on non-standard ports.

If you want a static IP without any ports firewalled, you have to get
the "business" class service.  For that they charge an additional
$20/month, and cap your upload speed at a lower level.  Something like
256kbit, as I recall.

> The reason for the special modem is that it isn't true
> cable internet but instead basically vdsl to the box in the backyard
> to deliver voice and internet over 1 line...

This is actually backwards.  Qwest is basically the only company I know
that *doesn't* share video and data over a single cable.  Qwest runs two
separate cables to, and through, your house.  One cable handles video,
the other is a purely digital signal and handles internet and DMX
(Digital Music).

When the fiber network was initially laid, they ran fiber to the curb,
and setup a purely digital network along side the analog video network.
Originally, the plan was to do video conferencing and video on demand
stuff, but at that time, the technology just wasn't there yet.  Luckily,
right as that fizzled out, cable internet came along.  Since they
already had a high quality and established digital network, they shifted
things over to that and ran with it.

Perhaps you're thinking of Cox?  Qwest doesn't offer voice over cable at
this time, their voice network is separate from the cable/cable modem
stuff.