[olug] qwest cable

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Thu Jul 28 15:49:09 UTC 2005

Mac Petras wrote:
> I would definitely check with them about compatibility first.
> The Modem I had was a Linksys (supported DOCSYS 1 & II)
> and worked great with Cox. Qwest REQUIRES you use their
> modem.
>
> As for the router, to be "safe" (I wouldn't trust the word of their
> tech rep), try using the one you have, and if it doesn't work, then
> get another that they suggest. It's possible the model you have
> may work just fine. The Tech they sent out was a contractor who
> really knew his stuff (and had been dealing with these same
> issues already) and let me know a lot of this up front.

Thanks, I will definitely ask about that!!!  I just bought this router -
I'm not really excited about laying out more $$$ to replace it because
the Qwest modem is some nonstandard hunk-o-junk.

> However, in that area I think Cox is an option, it just wasn't at
> the apt complex I lived in (they signed a 10 year contract with
> Qwest so I was screwed). Of course if you have other reasons for
> wanting Qwest, go with them....

The price is substantially lower than Cox, so that's a good enough
reason to go with Qwest.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea