[olug] router, router, router

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Jul 28 15:37:48 UTC 2005

Tim & Alethea Larson said:
> Daniel Linder wrote:
>> I have an old router/switch/AP setup as a simple "AP" for my home.  All
>> did was disabled the DHCP service on it, and then used a crossover cable
>> between the "real" router and one of the _inside_ ports of the AP.
>> Works
>> like a charm!
>
> So if I just disable DHCP (and presumably assign it a different IP and
> change it to router instead of gateway mode) it will work as a simple
> switch?  Do I need to use crossover cable, or a regular one?

Yes, that is all I did on my "router-turned-AP": assign it a leagle
address on my network (i.e. 192.168.0.2), disable the DHCP server on it,
setup the wireless pieces, connect a crossover cable from one of it's
switch ports into my main house switch.

Since you're connecting ports of two switches together you'll need to use
a crossover cable.  (Point of reference, my $50 switch I purchased at DIT
(16 port Zonet ZFS3016) will auto-sense each port so a crossover cable
isn't needed in my case.)

Dan

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computer, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov
GPG fingerprint:9EE8 ABAE 10D3 0B55 C536  E17A 3620 4DCA A533 19BF