[olug] router, router, router

thelarsons3 at cox.net thelarsons3 at cox.net
Fri Jul 22 17:25:16 UTC 2005

> From: "Hurley Rod" <RHurley at TMVGAS.COM>
>
> I think I understand that you previously had a Linksys router and then a
> hub somewhere behind the router on your network.  If this is correct, I

Yes.

> recommend dumping the hub and use the router in place.  Now if you need
> multiple ethernet and you don't have the Linksys with the 4 port
> integrated switch, then I recommend upgrading your router to one with a
> switch built in, or if you need more ports adding a switch.  I am not a

Both routers (BEFSR41, WRT54G) have the built-in (4-port) switch.

> big fan of hubs, they are just a "dumb" device that allows you to add
> multiple devices to a single line.  Depending upon your network, you may
> notice bottlenecks using hubs.
>
> So to sum up, Yes you can have 2 routers, but why?  For less than 80
> bucks you can get a wifi router with an integrated 4 port switch.  This

I guess I should clarified further about the router/switches.  Sorry about that.

> covers your port translation, alleviates your need for a hub (given you
> have a normal sized home network and not a geeknet), and your wifi.

I already have 7 devices (6 computers and a printer) on my LAN.  Is that a geeknet?  :)  (Actually more like a museum, since six are >6 years old.)  I got my 12-port hub for dirt - switches are great, but more expensive than hubs, too.  Using two 4-port switches I'd be maxed out - actually I'd have one port open since one is now wireless.

So I guess a better way to phrase my original question is how do I use my router/switch/WAP as just a switch/WAP?

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea