[olug] small pentiums receive a home

Cale Lewis dlazlo at fbx.com
Fri Jul 22 01:18:39 UTC 2005

Thanks for the links.

I took a NIC (New Internet Computer, an Oracle sponsered CD-booting
thinclient basicly) and made a custom image CD for it so that a 60-something
year old woman here in Glenwood could email her son stationed in Iraq. She
did not want a computer, and the Mivo email joke from Earthlink did not suit
her either. It was much easier to taylor something that was comfortable for
her to use for email and a little easy web browsing. She now has a computer,
having eased into using one with the custom-NIC experience, and it DOES have
a Linux partition on it that gets used.

Of course I did start her with BeOS, but some hardware incompatibilities with
a printer and such lead us to the next best option. ;^) The NIC is now
waiting to be used with area youth groups such as the Scouts or others.  Just
wait until I show them how a $10-$15 or $20 Netier thin client can become a
kick-ass portable gamestation and servicable DVD Player/computer with built-
in modem-nic-stereo sound-and even TV-out in some models!

Cale Lewis