[olug] Apache problems between CentOS 3.x and 4.x

Michael Peterson mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com
Tue Jul 19 21:38:05 UTC 2005

Has anyone figured out the fix to be able to allow browsers to view pages in
user directories with CentOS 4.x?

I get this response.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~<username>/ on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have the permissions on the username in /home and the public_html set
properly.

I have searched the apache documentation online.

I have compared the httpd.conf files between 3.x and 4.x.

I can change the 403 message sent by apache but cannot get it to show files
in a user directory even by entering a specific file name such as

http://<ip>/~<user>/index.html

The apache releases that work are 2.0.48 and 2.0.46.

The apache release that has the issue is 2.0.52.

Any help would be appreciated.