[olug] Suse 9.3 Pro download

Mario Steele eumario at trilake.net
Sat Jul 9 22:35:40 UTC 2005

A-Wal wrote:

> How would you guys rate Suse 9.3 to Fedora Core 4, or other distros?
> I'm thinking of building a Linux FTP and web server to learn how to do
> it, and would like to play with a secure distro that is easy to setup,
> configure, and admin.  This is just a home server to toy with while
> I'm learning, but I would prefer to start off on solid ground first.

Well, not considering that over 75 percent of Web Servers out there
today (Professional hosting wise) run on Red Hat, I would recommend
Fedora Core 4.  I've had trouble with SuSE 9.2 - 9.3 with getting simple
port forwarding to work with my DSL Modem.  Fedora Core 3 and 4 however,
works perfectly.  Both FC4 and SuSE 9.3 comes with front end GUI
interfaces that allow you to configure Apache.  But in all honesty, it
would be best that you work with the raw Configuration, cause
eventually, you will have to learn them, to better understand them, and
tweak your server out.

Weither your behind a DSL Router or not, it might not make much
diffrence weither you use SuSE, or FC.  It is just my recomendation, or
two cents. :P

--
Mario Steele
http://www.trilake.net/

http://enchantedblade.trilake.net/
The insanity of the world, wrapped in a nice little HTML Document.  Welcome to my world now.