[olug] Help! Need some T1/DS1 info...

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Mon Jan 31 21:30:08 UTC 2005

Jeff Hinrichs wrote:
> Long story short, we've got a (phone company name removed) rep promising
> big voice savings if we commit to a 3 year data contract.  Their pricing
> for DS-1 Internet(Tier 2) with a full Class C block is 887.50/month.
> That seems really high to me, especially since our current data
> provider(Tier 1), has pitched 675/month.
>
> What kinds of numbers are any of you paying for similar services?  I am
> happy to take this off the mailing list if names and numbers make being
> posted to the newsgroup makes anyone uncomfortable.  They are squeezing
> and my gut says stay away, this move would be to save money only, we are
> completely happy about our QOS and support from the current provider,
> but I'd be happier with feedback from others.

The pricing your current provider gives you is pretty competitive.

If you pay less for your voice services, but you pay more for your data
services, is it really worth it?  Would the voice savings make up for
the fact that you'll be paying over $200/mo more for your data T1?

If I were in your position I would ask for *all* the numbers, and do the
math yourself, just to make sure someone isn't trying to meet their
quota for this month ;)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us