[olug] Use OS X? GPG? ... Calling OS X folks + Email Statistics Survey

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu Jan 27 21:02:46 UTC 2005

A professor of mine is performing some statistical analysis on email
patterns (new contacts per month, use of encryption, etc) thats all
anonymous and would appreciate as large a data set as possible.  You can
run the app on GNU/Linux or Windows to generate a statistics.txt file to
resubmit.  If you have the time, I hope you can help their research out!

--- copied message below ---- OS X question below that ----
Hi guys,

I had mentioned that I am doing some research on secure e-mail with two
friends.  Part of our work is to verify certain hypotheses on the size of
peer groups with whom e-mail is exchanged.  That again has an impact on the
choice of security mechanisms and also the user interaction with secure
e-mail tools.

I would like to ask you for your help---if you have the time and take the
interest---to participate in our study.  You will find detailed explanations
on the what, why, and how at the following Web page of Tobias Straub, one of
my friends with whom I collaborate on that project:

http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/GK/participants/tstraub/email/

In brief: you will need to download a tool that filters your sent and
received e-mail and extracts in an anonymized fashion the timestamps of mail
sent per unique recipient.  No e-mail addresses are extracted, each address
is substituted by a unique running number.  No subject lines or mail bodies
are analyzed.

I'd be great if you could help with that project!

Thanks,
Volker
---------------------------------------

Anyone use OS X?  I would think a few do, or have a network of people
closer to someone with an answer for this question... please reply to
payne at mattpayne.org for the question below...

Some guy asked me:

> > This application is currently written in applescript.
> >
> > Do you know of any resources, clubs or groups for applescript writer
locally?

So I'm asking you.... who are the OS X folks around UNO?   I have an
iBook, but am not a applescript person.

Thanks! -Matt