[olug] Ugh... 2GB tgz backup w/corrupt files

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 04:08:56 UTC 2005

I backed up my entire home dir tree with a simple 'tar zcvf'.  It's the way I
always do it.

However, upon unpacking (within Midnight Commander), several of the files were
corrupt.  However, all of the directory structures were still there.  I'd guess
that 10-15% of my files were compromised.

I've never had this happen in my 4 years in Linux.  Fortunately (and quite
amazingly!), none of my irreplacable files were affected.

Does anyone know any trips or cookies for possibly recovering files in my
incorrigible tgz?

Thanks for reading,
Eric Pierce