[olug] leasing dedicated linux box

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Fri Jan 14 06:59:54 UTC 2005

I've been totally happy with linode. They're user mode linux machines,
so they are shared. But, as there are some nice bonuses. They're in
good data centers, on good hardware, which is a bonus. Having the
single hd go out on your $99 a month leased box sucks. He has a pretty
good user mode linux system going, you set up (and resize) your disks
and initial distro on the website, and boot your machine. Log in as
root and you're free to do whatever. He keeps his kernels pretty
current, and if you screw up your machine and make it unbootable or
unaccesable somehow, you can ssh into your uml's host and get console
access to your linux box. Good luck finding a data center that will
give you console management access for a cut rate.

I have a 128, which is 128 meg of ram, 6 gig of disk, 50 gig transfer,
and shared with 19 other instances on a dual 2.6 xeon, for over a year.
I run gentoo on it no problem, and it handles email/web/etc for myself
and a few friends no problem. I only use about 10 gig of transfer a
month with some pretty lightly loaded web apps, so I'm not exactly
stressing it. For $40 a month it beats any shared hosting plan if
you're a geek.

It looks like they've got the knock off RHEL, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo,
RH, Mandrake and Slack at the moment.

http://www.linode.com/products/linodes.cfm

If you pay for a year you get 50% more disk space free. He's been
running that special for almost a year now. The 192 ($60/mo) or the 256
($80/mo) should work for you.

Check em out,

Daniel