[olug] Two different distros on the same HD

Don Kauffman dekauff at cox.net
Wed Jan 12 22:39:37 UTC 2005

Well, this is what I did FWIW.
I have 2 hds already with hda (9.1 GB) dedicated to windows and hdb (80
GB)  having both a hdb1 swap partition, hdb2 a reiserfs partition for
suse(app 60 GB) and hdb3 a vfat partition ( app.20 GB). I decided to
resize the vfat to 15 GB amd use the remaining space to install ubuntu.

Here are the steps I used to do that.

1. Backed up the data on hdb3.
2. examined it using gparted.
3. unmounted the vfat partition on hdb3.
4. used gparted to resize hdb3 and make a new logical ext2fs partition
hdb4. (not for the faint of heart)!
5. mounted the remaining vfat partition as hdb3 and see that my data is
still ok.
6. Install Ubuntu on hdb4. It recognized everything, I like Ubuntu so
far. It's not bloated and runs pretty quickly. I had to get used to how
it handles root. I'm used to setting up a root password so it blew me
away when it didn't ask for one.  Just went ahead and set up a user
account. Then that user has root access via the password of that user
account. I'm not sure I like that way of doing things but I can be
persuaded differently. One of the things I do like is that it is a
debian based distro which gives access to debian's apt-get. I've lusted
after that! :-)

If you see something I did that isn't quite kosher please feel free
point it out.

Don Kauffman