[olug] Opinions of MSCIS program at Bellevue

Tim OBrien IrishMASMS at OLUG.ORG
Tue Feb 22 17:38:04 UTC 2005

<quote who="Jaymz Ringler">
> I have seen the same thing here in Lincoln.
>
> There were a select few of us that excelled in our IT coursework and the
> rest of the class just slid by doing the bare minimum.  A few of these
> guys are friends of mine, and it was hard to tell them that I wouldn't
> hire them.  I spent 8 hours a day full time as a net admin, then 4 hours
> in class and usually a couple more hours at night after class.
>
> They think that they will learn everything they need to know in class
> and don't do any learning or discovery outside of class.
>
> I've talked to many CSE majors from UNL and have been asked questions
> such as...   "my room mate and I want to put both computers on
> roadrunner, what kind of equipment do I need ?"     no joke..  I
> couldn't believe it.
>
> So, I don't think it's just a problem at BU.   I think the problem lies
> within the laziness of people these days.  It's like the old  "Paper
> MCSE".

[snipped]

I have to agree with Jaymz. During the time I was a part time Instructor
at Metro Community College there were the two distinct groups of students.

Though, you have to remember that CSE major is programming, not
networking. Unfortunately the Uni's think all you need it 31337
programming skills, you do not need to know anything about computer
hardware, networking, or security.

But this is more than lazy students, this definitely has to do with lazy
people who expect quick fixes done for them.

Again - your education is what you make it.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Previous Publicity & Social activities chairperson