[olug] From Tejaswi: Unix Utils in Windows (fwd)

Jon Larsen relayer at levania.org
Sun Feb 13 16:44:09 UTC 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Date: 	Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:50:18 -0800 (PST)
From: 	Tejaswi Manjunath <tejas at zoonic.com>

Subject: tail in windows ?? need more options !!
Body:
i am trying to use tail command in windows, i downloaded the Win 2003
Server Resource Kit and got hold of tail.exe, so it does take options of
-c, -f, -q, -n, -v !!!

my problem is i am looking for using the option of -r - as my program is
supposed to read the updated contents of the file, and i am thinking of
scanning the file backwards will get me to the point i want to stop
reading easily and faster....keeping in mind log rotate that occours on
log files....

(i know there is another way of doing this also - keep track of the last
scanned file, its size, last record, its size, and then do -> tail -c
BYTES FILENAME, and get the required input only....but this will totally
screw up cos of log rotate !!!)

Any suggestions I would appreciate any help !!! Thanks guys

by the way this is for a deamon of unix that could be installed on
windows....

Jon H. Larsen  - relayer \at\ levania \dot\ org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/
AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/
ICQ#: 10412618 - http://www.levania.org/~relayer/
GPG/PGP Pubkey - http://www.levania.org/~relayer/relayerpubkey.txt