[olug] VOIP Provider info.

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Wed Feb 9 11:59:53 UTC 2005

At Tue, 08 Feb 05, Unidentified Flying Banana Bill Brush, said:
> I have two friends that have Lingo.com and Packet8.com.  Both are pretty
> happy with their service.  I'm getting Time Warner phone service even
> though it's twice as much as Lingo simply because I need good 911 service
> since I have small children and the others didn't have adequate 911 service
> for a caller that doesn't know their address.

If you are only doing it for the emergency service, you may want to find
an old cell phone, and use that instead.  Cell phone providers are
required by the FCC to accept 911 calls from all cell phones, even if the
phone doesn't currently have an active service plan.

If you have an old cell phone, you're set.  If not, you can often find
working ones at garage sales, eBay, or even online[1].  Just make sure
you have a charger for it. ;-)

  [1] http://www.emergencycellphones.com/