[olug] DSL/CO distance in bellevue

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Thu Dec 29 00:32:10 UTC 2005

Charles Bird wrote:
> I have been haggling ISP's again latly and I am looking for DSL.
> I just moved right next to southroads mall right behind sears and I am wondering if any of U out there know where the qwest CO is in relation to my location and why I cant get dsl pro at that location.
> Any of U know how far down the line is the limit for the really good bandwidth for DSL?

You can usually get to 18,000 feet or so. If you send me your number or
address offlist I can tell you how it gets to your house.

> And a second question, I have been hearing morew and more about bonded DSL on the east coast, I checked with qwest and they say there is no such thing, I know paricom was offering these lines out of the qwest CO in council-tucky 2 years ago!
> SO if i wanted a bonded dsl connection would I need to buy equipment and co-locate it in qwest's CO?

We are doing that for some clients, we get 1.5 meg or 7 meg standalone
DSL circuits and use either a cisco 2600 with 2 WIC-1ADSL cards or a
Linux machine with 2 Sangoma S518 cards and use multilink PPP like the
old days with two modems. It's amazing fast, on a pair of 7 meg lines I
got 1.5 megabytes/second. We are the ISP on the end and allow multilink,
not sure if qwest.net does. We aren't in your LATA yet either so we
can't get there. Check with some other local Qwest-connected ADSL ISP's
and see if they will allow you to do PPP multilink.

> I am looking for the most cost effective way to get more than 1.5Mb upload with out having the 600.00 bill each month. I dont care too much about dedicated as long as i can burst upto 1.5 or higher without my wallet flinching.

It works good as long as the ISP allows it.

dave