[olug] email server setup question

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Mon Dec 26 05:23:31 UTC 2005

>>> I thought you could listen on 25, i.e. Cox doesn't block _incoming_
>>> traffic
>> Yes, they do.  On Nov 10 they started blocking inbound port 25 traffic
>> for all the Cox-connected residential systems I have access to ('round
>> 12 geographically spread between Elkhorn and CB).
> Is it possible to work around this somehow and still host email at home
> using Cox?

Not really, you could run an smtpd on a non-standard port, but nobody
would deliver mail to you, since it supposed to be on 25. It would be
nice if the internet was 2-way like it used to be. We're about to see
the media controlled 1-way internet take over...

Me? I use linode.com and just run my own server with no real
restrictions. Works great.

-- Daniel