[olug] Sempron or Athlon?

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Dec 18 18:42:48 UTC 2005

Basically, Sempron vs Athlon = Celeron vs P4.

Athlons - when used in the Socket 939 form factor - supports a faster
HyperTransport bus, dual channel memory, larger L2 cache, optional
dual-core.

Depending on the exact Sempron CPU, they can be Socket A (derived from
the old 32-bit Athlon core) or Socket 754.  There is no guarantee that
your chosen Socket 754 Sempron will support 64-bit.

There are also differences in the motherboard - Socket 939 motherboards
support the previously-mentioned dual-channel memory, and sport more
advanced chipsets that support things like SATA II and PCI Express.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us