[olug] SATA vs SCSI

Charles Bird thebirdman at operamail.com
Sat Dec 17 22:42:28 UTC 2005

I went to dit today to see what they had laying around and pick up a spindle of cd-r.
I asked the clerk guy if he knows of any hvd scsi controllers new/used he laughed and said no, everyone is getting outta scsi and moving over to sata these days. I gave him a weird look and thought to myself.....I havnt seen one sata drive in the data center yet, may some lower end machines have sata but i dont see hotswap sata drives in a rack....
He then told me about sata2 and said its supposed to do 300MB per second, I said really loud "No Way man"
But i am not really informed about it so I asked him for more info, like latency, total thoroput etc, compared to scsi. and he claims sata is going to out perform scsi soon, i said I dont believe it, there no way.
Maybe perhaps but i didnt believe it and i dont really care until i see more 10K rpm and 15K rpm sata drives.