[olug] xfce and the other guys

Scott Jones scottj.org at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 03:28:08 UTC 2005

On Thursday 15 December 2005 00:42, Will Langford wrote:

> I'd have to install and play with it some more...
>
> But it's possible that being 'standard compliant' with whole free desktop
> environment api/etc stuff... that other applications that comply with the
> 'standard' will work and integrate well.
>
> I wonder how many apps comply... cuz... that'd be the difference.

Not all, but freedesktop.org isn't a standards body, so they really can't
force compliance with any of their proposals.  KDE and Gnome *are* compliant,
of course, since fd.o was started to get the two to play nice with each
other.  The "standards" are based largely on existing practice within the
two.

That said, of the apps I use with Xfce, some from KDE, some from Gnome, and
others not affiliated with either one, the KDE and Gnome apps give me no
trouble.  It's the others that can be a crapshoot.

--
Homepage                        http://scottj.org
XFce desktop environment        http://www.xfce.org