[olug] xfce and the other guys

Scott Jones scottj.org at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 03:07:56 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 22:47, Robert Alan Jacobs wrote:

> I was about to side with Will on this one and call you on it, Tim.  I've
> *always* known XFCE to be a window manager, not a DE.  According to
> their site [1], however, they *are* a DE.
>
> Now, that might be marketing speak but I will say that XFCE looks a lot
> more advanced than I remember it.  Anyone else, want to chime in?

Taken as a whole, Xfce is a DE, of which one of the components (xfwm4) is a
window manager, much like the relationship between KDE and kwin or Gnome and
Metacity.

Freedesktop.org has a good working definition of DEs at
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Desktops .

--
Homepage                        http://scottj.org
XFce desktop environment        http://www.xfce.org