[olug] user management

Jake Churchill jachurchill at cox.net
Tue Dec 13 00:08:54 UTC 2005

To answer all the questions:

I use SuSE 9.3 and it's default is GID 100 "users".  I don't like that
default though because then by default, every user has read access to
the other users' directories.

the GID min is 1000 and max is 60000 in my /etc/login.defs file.  I know
that RedHat defaults the group to the username for additional security
and Mandrake has copied this (I think).  I supposed I could write a
script in perl to just do everything for me, but that's still not
changing the system default which was my ultimate goal.

If anyone has any additional thoughts, please share.

Thanks!