[olug] user management

Jake Churchill jachurchill at cox.net
Mon Dec 12 13:34:19 UTC 2005

When adding users using 'useradd' it pulls the default information from
the /etc/default/useradd file.  Mine is as follows:

GROUP=100
HOME=/home
INACTIVE=-1
EXPIRE=
SHELL=/bin/bash
SKEL=/etc/skel
GROUPS=video,dialout

My issue is that when I create a user, it adds them with the default
group as users, which is GID 100.  What do I need to change to ensure
that when I add a user, it specifies them with the group that is equal
to their user name.  For example, user john needs to be added and his
primary group must be john, rather than users.  Is there a way to alter
this file so that it does that and so that it automatically sets the
home directory to /home/john.
I'm trying to figure out how to do this dynamically rather than specify
everything manually.

thanks